We are big fans of a good meatloaf, and our dogs Jordan and Gertrude were too. We adapted a basic meatloaf recipe using lean meats and adding different grains and vegetables for variety. Our dogs loved garlic, so we always added it, finely chopped; if you have concerns about feeding it to your dog, it can easily be left out.
Dogs love this meatloaf recipe, which is easy to make with ingredients that you have at home. Basic directions include mixing your favorite meats, some oats and two eggs to get started then add in your dog’s favorite vegetables. Browse our list of dog-friendly super foods and vegetables to inspire your inner chef.
As for substitutions, in place of the oatmeal, you can try other whole grains, such as brown rice or quinoa. Flaxseed meal is a good substitute for bread crumbs. Consider adding the some nutritionally-packed supplements to compliment this meatloaf including pulverized calcium, nori (seaweed), chopped pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds.
Make a few of these meatloaves at a time to freeze, using different flavors for variety. Use beef, ground turkey, chicken, or lamb, but avoid pork or veal, which can be too fatty.
GET THE BARK IN YOUR INBOX!
Sign up for our newsletter and stay in the know.
Meatloaf with Vegetables for Dogs
Feed according to your dog’s size and calorie needs.
- 2 pounds ground turkey or other meat
- 1 cup cooked organic oatmeal (We prefer a minimally processed steel-cut whole-grain oat, like Irish oatmeal.)
- 3/4 cup organic flaxseed meal or breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup fresh organic parsley, finely chopped
- 2 large organic eggs
- 2 cups fresh or frozen organic vegetables (Use a variety of vegetables, such as peas, corn, diced cooked potatoes, and grated carrots; do not include onion.)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and place the oven rack in the middle slot.
2. Mix all the ingredients together with your hands.
3. Transfer the mixture to a loaf pan, or use a 13-by-9-inch baking dish and form a loaf in the center. You can also use a roasting pan, just space the loaf in the middle of it, you can cook potatoes or sweet potatoes in the pan at the same time too.
4. Bake for 1 hour.